Rock Climbing Instructor (RCI) - Assessments
Prior to attending a Rock Climbing Instructor (RCI) assessment, you must have attended an RCI Training Course or have gained exemption from Mountain Training. You must have met the minimum criteria for lead climbs, assisted group sessions and hold a valid 16hr first air certificate.
About our RCI Assessments
We have teamed up with Keith Fleming (MIC) who has been running the RCI for over 20 years, and is a British Mountaineering Council approved expert witness for outdoor court cases. Des Barlow (MIA) is also a course director (10yrs+) and has extensive experience of rock leader training for the British armed forces.
British Stunt Register Trainees
As well as aspirant instructors who want to work in the outdoor industry we specialise in assessing those that are training for the British Stunt Register.
In addition to the RCI Assessment, we also run Part 2 of the BSR Climbing criteria the British Stunt Register - Climbing Assessment.
Available all year round
Minimum age: 18 Max weight: 19 stone (120kg).
Included in the Course Fees
- All course tutoring and administration.
Not Included in the Course Fees
- Registration with MTE, or reference books related to the course.
- Climbing wall entry fees
- Transport / Accommodation / Catering
- Provision of any personal equipment.
- Attended a training course or have gained exemption from MTE or other home nation board.
- Completed 20 supervising sessions (as assistant or supervisor), with as much variety as possible. These should NOT be all at the same venue, and cannot all be in an indoor wall, or on an artificial structure or high ropes course, etc.
- Personally led AN ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of 40 pitches (MTE recommends at least 60 pitches) of up to severe grade climbs, using leader placed protection, in a variety of different areas & on varied rock types.
- Proficiency in the use of climbing walls.
- A valid First Aid certificate (minimum of 16 hours and assessed).
- An up to date logbook on the Dlog Candidate Management System (CMS).
- Please ensure you have a reference from a suitably qualified person on your Dlog, and it is useful to scan and upload your First Aid Cert too (see the CV section of Dlog).
By its very nature lead climbing increases the risk of serious personal injury in the event of a fall. By booking this course you accept this risk.
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO LEAD ROCK CLIMBS USING LEADER PLACED PROTECTION, AND SECOND OTHERS, AT UP TO SEVERE GRADE. This is, potentially, a dangerous activity with the risk of serious injury or death. You may take falls onto equipment placed by you but not checked by us. It is impossible for us to guarantee your safety at all times, as sometimes you may be out of our direct control. If you feel unhappy about any of this, please DO NOT join the course. More information is available if you require it. Hatt Adventures & Mountain Activities will not accept liability for accidents/injuries in such cases unless CLEARLY due to their negligence.
For more info. please see our Terms & Conditions.
- Indoor climbing wall
- Personal climbing day
- Personal abseiling
- Group climbing
- Group abseiling
- Emergencies and problem solving
Courses usually run in Swanage or the Peak District
Group rock climbing and safety equipment is supplied.
For all rock climbing assessments you will need your own personal climbing kit including harness, helmet and lead rack.
For all outdoor climbing courses you must have extra warm clothes and waterproofs, we will provide you with a full kit list upon booking.
- Comfortable clothing, suitable for the time of year
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Approach shoes / trainers**
- Climbing shoes
- Rucksack (approx. 40-50ltr)
- Packed lunch and plenty of water
- Medication / Tablets / Inhaler etc.
The above list is just a guide and appropriate clothing for the time of year should be worn.
Please remember the crags can be a fair walk or scramble from the car park, so it's important to put all of your kit in a suitable size rucksack leaving space for climbing equipment.
When you book onto our RCI Assessment, you'll get 15% off your first order in our online shop, so you can stock up equipment for your outdoor adventures!
We stock a variety of kit and can give expert advice if you have any queries. Choose to collect your order on a course (free of charge) and your instructor will have it ready and waiting for you when you arrive.